Friday, March 31, 2017

More March Madness, Thrumming!!

Hello Everyone!
If you're like me, you may have heard about thrumming but had no idea what it is. And then, Linda offers a class on thrumming so I had to get in gear and learn about thrumming. Once I saw the pattern, it made more sense.  According to Stephanie Pearl McFee of Yarn Harlot fame, "A thrum is a little wisp of unspun fleece or roving that is knit into your project every so often. Thrumming makes the insides soft and fuzzy, and freakishly warm. This technique is most often associated with Canada’s Province of Newfoundland and Labrador (where they know warm)." (http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/thrumfaq.html)
Typically, you can find a number of thrummed patterns for mittens. There are other hats and even a collared vest, but this flap hat is one of a kind. And while flap hats have long been used by the Military (OD Green, of course) and people living in the coldest parts of the World, flap hats have become somewhat of a fashion statement. So here’s our opportunity to knit a truly unique piece and learn a new skill at the same time, thrumming!
When I started knitting the thrummed hat, the weather in New England was getting warmer, like into the 50's and 60's warmer. That's a big deal in New England. I figured the hat wouldn't be used until next year when our inevitable frigid winters arrive in August (just kidding, usually it's November, which I still think is too early!) But, New England being New England, we had a Nor’easter and knitting the thrummed hat made much more sense. Our pattern is from www.cocoknits.com, Fleeced Earflap Hat designed by Julie Weisenberger.
Julie takes thrumming up a notch with her own version of "extreme thrumming", as she calls it. Her method is invisible on the outside and extremely warm on the inside. Her directions on How to Fleece are very detailed with step-by-step pictures. Even though there appears to be a lot going on in this pattern, I found that by reading the entire pattern I was able to better understand how all the pieces go together. Linda suggested using three sets of needles to knit each part, the front flap, and right and left ear flaps. Well, if you’re like me, of course you have three sets of needles, not that we admit to it often, but now we can confidently say we NEED all those needles!! Each piece requires fleecing so knitting each separately makes connecting the pieces much easier. I found the actual fleecing a little challenging at first because I learned that I really needed to tug the stitch a little tighter around the fleece. This is especially important when felting the fleece. The little tufts stay in place when the felting process is underway. And I recommend using the type of brush seen in the pattern. I tried other brushes and the type shown works best. Another tip Linda gave me to help with the felting is to gently steam iron the fleece. And trimming the fleece really does help with the felting. I was a little surprised what a difference trimming made. As you can see from my pictures, my fleece is fuller rather than packed, giving a faux fur look. I will also try a more “packed” look on my next thrummed hat. The different fleeced looks are personal preference and attractive either way. The thrummed patterns on Ravelry show a variety of fleeced looks and uses. Above all, a fleeced piece is meant to be warm. And on this last day of March when we are getting yet another Nor’easter here in New England, finding a use for my Fleeced Earflap Hat won’t be too difficult. I hope you enjoyed learning how to thrum on this very special hat. I enjoyed how the hat “grew” with each row and how it so beautifully came together. I especially like that this hat is unique.

My Fleeced Earflap Hat
Top View

My next Blog will be on Works In Progress (WIPs). I have two from our March projects, the Chevalier Mittens and the Kellie Fingerless Gloves (among others!).  I don’t think I know a Knitter or Crocheter who doesn’t have at least one WIP!
Knit On!
Lisa





No comments:

Post a Comment