Sunday, April 30, 2017

Asymmetrical April 2017 - Wrap-up

Hello Everyone!

In wrapping up our Asymmetrical April, I am happy to say that I finished our hat project, Rebel by Josh Ryks.  When I last checked in, I was coming up on German Short Rows. I have done short rows on other projects and I wish I had known how to do German Short Rows! This method makes short rows much easier than the more traditional wrap method. The short rows are what give this hat its shape, fitting along with the natural curve of your head. Once I knitted the pattern through the short rows, the hat actually started to look like a hat. Knitting this project is almost like knitting a mystery knit-along, the hat shape only comes into view as you complete the short rows. My Husband, Linda's Dad, asked more about this project because the hat shape isn't readily visible. But once it comes into view, the sense of accomplishment is real! But, there’s one more step before our Rebel Hat is finished, and that’s the grafting. I have not grafted before this project, so I had to research how to do this particular technique. There are a number of site, but I found the tutorial at Craftsy to be very clear and it has pictures!
https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/12/knitting-kitchener-stitch-tutorial/
According to Craftsy, the Kitchener stitch is a finishing technique in knitting used to seam two sets of live stitches invisibly. It is essentially a new set of stitches woven from both live edges! Also called grafting in knitting, the kitchener stitch is fun to say, but can seem a little daunting to new knitters.
What I found, though, is that the tutorial gave me a basis on how to graft, a more clear understanding. But I found the best way to do the grafting on our hat is to follow the pattern. Josh Ryks’ pattern is very well written overall, and particularly in this area. Just follow each step and you’ll get the “V” in the back, completing all the required knitting. Now all that is left is to weave in those ends! As you recall, I used four colors in my hat, and while weaving in all those ends took some time, the color combination was well worth it.

I hope you enjoyed stepping into the new areas of short rows and grafting. I am sure we will see these techniques again. Here is my finished Rebel Hat.













I will be working on the Stephen West Tripartite project while on a trip during the first week of May. There are several project kits still available at Yarns by HPF. Stop in and check them out! Here is where I am on this very artistic project. 


I will post updates when I get home. I always take knitting when I travel. I found that the times I didn't, I missed not having the option to knit. How about you, do you take your knitting with you? See you next month for Mosaic May!
Knit On! Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment